Monday 24 July 2023

More of the Same

 


I finally got some photos of my Russian SYW troops. They were taken at a game, true, but they're here. (I took most and Andy took a few of the photos.) We played a game at the Hamilton Road Games Group, using the Honours of War rules from Osprey. As I've said before, this is a rule set I like and as we play it we're getting better at finding things in the book.

From Andy's Prussian point-of-view.
The large dice show the enthusiasm of the generals on a scale shown in the game.
A poor result with a poor general means you don't move at all.
A good result with great general could actually make you advance.

The Prussians moved in road column toward the town while the Russians advanced in line. 

Arial view of some open fields.
Those are my lonely Jagers ("Igerski") advancing to their doom all alone.
The Russian grenadier brigade advances slowly.

Russian cavalry - cuirassiers, horse grenadiers, and dragoons ride across the fields.
The red jacketed troops are Russian infantry in summer uniform.
They would leave their green uniform coat in baggage and serve in a sleeved waistcoat.

Prussian dragoons and hussars begin to threaten my grenadiers.

On the other flank, Prussian cuirassiers and dragoons come 'round the town.

Facing that cavalry onslaught is a brigade of Cossacks.
Irregular cavalry of "inferior" status with a "dithering" general led to two turns of ...
... vodka and perogi all around!! 

"More vodka, tovarichi?"

In the centre, my cuirassiers and horse guards attacked some infantry.

"A stupid and futile gesture"
Jagers die gloriously in the woods.

The Cossacks finally woke up and countercharged the cuirassiers.

In retrospect, that decision did not turn out well. I have since learned how to evade.

Horse grenadiers and dragoons charge more Prussian infantry.

More Prussians!

A regiment turns to face the threat on the right.
I tend* to hand-paint my flags and I'm pleased with that one.
(* not always)

Flushed with victory over irregular Cossacks, the cuirassiers prepare to continue to move.

My grenadiers appear to have been flanked, but game troupers that they are, they press on!

Russians in coats.
In a mass, SYW figures with their flags are impressive.

"You're right, Ivan. The view is better from back here."
The Cossack brigade was shattered. From now on, I'd best use them as an independent force.

Technically I lost the game, but it was actually an exercise in getting to know the rules on a table that was somewhat too small for the number of figures we fielded.

On to other things!
An altar table for The Silver Bayonet
I added the small corporal (altar cloth) and the Sacramentary (book)
The chalice and the other unidentifiable thing came with the altar.

Barrels and boxes.... 'cause you never know.

Some Chaos Marines of an unknown chapter

Napoleonic French Imperial Guard horse artillery for Shako II

A Landsknechts-ish figure put together from part lying around.

More barrels

At the War of 1812 reenactment at Fort George, Ontario, I served as brigade adjutant.
I'm in my summer uniform behand Colonel Land.

The US troops at morning parade - Regulars, Volunteers, and Militia with a dragoon!

Beth and I found this at our local games store - a doggo pirate!
I had to paint her up as our dog, Sadie, although if that pup shows up with two pistols,
I'll find myself elsewhere!


Sadie without her pirate gear,

3 comments:

  1. WOW John, I love the SYW pics. Nice to see all those beautiful toys on the table and in battle. I tried HoW a long time ago and had some issues figuring out how to play it. All of your figs, as usual, look superb! Happy Gaming Sir!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always a joy to hear from you.
      I'm torn as to what is the most colourful - SYW or Napoleonics... and I am a Napoleonic player from 'WAY back. My friend and I like HoW and found it quite playable. To each, their own, I suppose.

      Delete
    2. IIRC, the issue was with light infantry. They played like super troopers and won all of their combats handily. I know I was doing something wrong but I could not figure out what.

      Delete