Thursday 26 January 2023

Kings of War on a Day Off


 I hadn't played Kings of War in quite a while. Then my friend, Mark, invited Beth and I up to his place for a game, some lunch, and time for Beth to talk with Carrie. So we went and we enjoyed ourselves immensely.

I have a Kings of Men army based on a real mixed bag of troops I've collected over the years. Mark has a very nice Dwarven army. Since we didn't have much room (Kitchen table), we set our armies to 1500 points. (2500 to 3000+ points is more the usual size.)

So off we went. We finished before lunch (baked Quesadillas... Yum!) and before Carrie had to go to her place of employment for the afternoon/evening shift.

The table as the battle progressed. Mark's Dwarf rangers hit my Black Company which was
guarding my right flank. We both got hurt. You can see the cannon on both sides.
Cannon in KoW are often quite useless. This day, they were deadly.
The huge tree trunks were for Mark's forest world of Endor in a Star Wars game.

Mark's rangers led a flank attack.
My musketmen and the artillery sent one unit packing.

My cavalry flank
Mounted scouts with pistols led and were smashed quickly.
Knights followed and fought a melee war badgers and the Dwarf General.
Didn't do so well. The Mounted Sergeants didn't last long either.

Mark's main force on a nicely detailed multi-figure base.

The pride and spine of my army - a horde of pikes.
Mostly Old Glory Italian Wars pikes with a few Warlord Landsknechts added.

Pikes close up.
The dice peaking into the bottom the photo indicate casualties.

The Pikes from the front

Mark's main force from the front.

My muskets hold off the Dwarf archers while
the Black Company have a dust-up with the rangers.

My knights fight against the Dwarf general and the war badgers.
The badgers would get thrown back while the general held her ground.
(Yes, the general was female.)
Because of that maneuver, my knights were pinned and got slapped around.

Well, I lost the game. Dwarves are hard to crack. I should have taken more shoot-y units to do damage at a distance. Live and learn.

I enjoyed the day and my time with Mark and Carrie... and with Beth. 


2 comments:

  1. Nothing beats a day of gaming on a day off, John! I have resolved to get KoW on the table this year. This is the year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked the entry. I personally have a few issues with KoW but not enough to give it up totally. I'd enjoy hearing your ideas about the game when you play it.

      Delete