Monday 23 March 2020

Latest Napoleonic paint work - March 2020

Sadie, our dog, wondering why we're home so much.

I wish I could say I painted all of these figures during the "social distancing" time here in Ontario, but that'd be a lie. It's all been part of a project to  co some completion of my Napoleonics troops for Artie Conliffe's Shako, my favourite set of rules for the Napoleonic Wars. Most of the infantry units are set for nine figures and that makes them look a bit anemic. So I decided to try doubling the size to eighteen and putting them on a base with a designation on the back, in order to tell one unit from another by sight... rather than putting the name on the bottom of the stand or depending on facing colours to tell one unit from another. What I have here is the bulk of my work after finishing my wife's Italian army. I continued with my French allies, the Confederation of the Rhine, and the Kingdom of Sweden. Now I'll go on to the Russians, Prussians, and finally the Austrian - my favourite army. The Turks and the British will wait a bit.


A French legere battalion - light infantry who were actually more like line
with a superiority complex.

The battalion of Italian Marines of the Royal Guard
My wife liked how the Italians looked and then she discovered they were good troops!

Grenadiers of the Imperial Guard - the Old Guard
Chasseurs of the Imperial Guard - also the Old Guard


The Svea Lifgarde - Swedish guard troops

Lifregiment grenadiers  - Swedish grenadier unit


Lifgrenadier regiment - more Swedish grenadiers
(Swedish uniforms are wild and fun to study.)

Prussian Garde-regiment zu Fuss (Regiment #8)

Prussian Horse Artillery Battery
(In Shako, artillery is easy to figure out: Horse battery - 2 crew figures,
Foot battery - 3 figures, heavy battery (12# and up) - 4 figures)

Prussian 11th Reserve Infantry Regiment
No flags were issued to reserve or Landwehr regiments,
which did not stop them from finding flags and banners.
(I was given these figures by a friend who was moving to Hawaii years ago and 
they've been bounced around quite a bit over time. Many bayonets were lost.)

A Russian infantry regiment
I'm not sure what unit this is.

The Russian unit's flag, done mostly free-hand by myself.

More Russians! Not in overcoat this time.

Hungarian regiment #51 - Splenyi - Austrian Empire
Raised in Transylvania, the unit was called the Legion Infernale by the French.

Austrian Jägers - the "Grey Devils"

I haven't listed the manufacturers of the figures since I have been mixing various figures in a unit. Right now, I'm reaching back into figures bought or received long ago to fill out units.

5 comments:

  1. I used quite to like Shako, which enjoyed a brief popularity in this burg about 20 years ago. The it dies as suddenly as it appeared. On the whole I preferred the 2x2 bases that were one of the options.

    I like the look of the units you have created - simple, colourful and distinctive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I rather like the look of these.

    Just wondering, I've missed any reference to size but my eye says they remind me of some of my old Minifig, Partha, Heritage and other 15's. Good memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True! They're all 15mm - Minifigs, Heritage, Falcon, and Essex... and maybe some others.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete