Tuesday 13 May 2014

The Longwoods Event returns!

In my reenacting life, I've looked forward to the event at the Longwoods Conservation Area since it's the first one of the season. It was on hiatus for a while because the organisers wanted to emphasise the Bicentennial events of the commemoration of the War of 1812. This year, it returned. A number of us gathered at the Conservation Area on the weekend of May 3-4. My extended "family" and I actually went out on Friday evening to set up our camp. We met a lot of old friends and made some new ones. Glory to the Royal Scots who organise this event.
Sad to say, Mother Nature didn't cooperate much and Saturday saw a number of periods of cold rain... but we're tough guys and girls and we don't let a little rain stop us! (Don't ask how I felt Monday; the aftermath doesn't come into it!)
Saturday morning, the US camp drilled and I have to say that though I'm still learning, I AM learning. There was a battle reenactment in the afternoon and that was messy. I was sergeanting Croghan's Company of the 17th US Regular Infantry and at one point only one of our seven muskets was firing! The rain wet down everything, flints shattered, and I bit too far into a cartridge twice! Yeah, I'm still learning.

(Photos mostly by Andrew Larson, a friend of the company and my wife - - - great photos!)
Tyler of the 17th keeping his lock dry.

Rob and I, getting things lined up.

The Crown forces looking very business-like... as usual!

At every Longwoods event at about noon on both days, a Native war council is held.
Rob is often "captured" and exchanged to the British for a musket or a muskrat or a cantaloupe
or something as part of the council. Here "our Guy" of the 10th Royal Veterans manhandles Rob.

Captain Bob ("Grandfather Lame Wolf") brings gifts to the warriors.

Many Strings (Kim L.) stands as chief for the day and accepts the gifts.

Redcoat in the rain. This photo shows the weather very well.

Reloading in the rain is dicey at best. Our friend, Raiffe is doing his best. At least he has a shako cover!

The US firing line - The 17th plus detachments, the 22nd, the 19th and the Canadian Volunteers
We got off a few good volleys. The 17th was reduced to "fire at will." My musket tool was passed around and
I gave my flint to Tyler, so I didn't use much powder on Saturday.

Rob takes a shot in his Native gear. In Saturday's battle, he ran with the First Nations' warriors as "Long Shadow" of the Lenni-Lanape or Delaware Nation.

A self-serving photo of the "Altkampfer."

Since Longwoods was only a 30 minute drive from home, we slept in our own beds and drove out again on Sunday. I had taken that Sunday off and had a supply preacher at the church. There were fewer people out on Sunday and a number of the reenactors had left as well. Still it was fun.

More photos now...

Croghan's Company +! Big Jim serving as adviser/right marker, the inexperienced sergeant, Kevin in hunting shirt. Nick, Tyler, and in the second rank, Lyle, Rob, and a friend from Buffalo, NY.
In camp, from left, Rob/Long Shadow, Tyler, your humble correspondent, Katie, and Lyle.
The Crown Forces Fife and Drum Corps on the march. As all can see, the sun was out on Sunday.
Rob and Katie fence while Eva guards the line.
Tyler instructs Felicity on the secrets of the boom-stick.
Eva tries her hand at the musket. Beth likes to make sure that all the female members of the reenactment group know how to shoot the musket or rifle whether they take the field of not!

No comments:

Post a Comment