Wednesday 8 January 2014

In The Bleak Midwinter

 In the bleak midwinter, frosty wind made moan, 
 earth stood hard as iron, water like a stone; 
 snow had fallen, snow on snow, snow on snow, 
 in the bleak midwinter, long ago.

     I'm going to show some of my recently painted figures. These were not done since the beginning of the year or even since the Christmas holidays. Some go rather further back, but since it's bitterly cold (-9°C, feels like -17°C) and rather snow covered outside, I was in the mood to photograph a few things  I've enjoyed painting. Some are historical, some fantasy and Sci-fi, some are semi-historical.

A 75mm PaK50 anti-tank gun from an unknown maker. I decided to paint the crew as
late War SS gunners with the "pea" pattern designed to destroy my eyesight and sanity.

Andy said this was extra to his needs so I received it from him. The gun model had no instructions,
so I had to intuit the entire thing. I think it worked out. The crew are all on separate bases should casualties occur.

"The Business End"


The gun kit included two identical gun commander figures. I painted the upper one in Wehrmacht cammo
and the lower one in SS cammo.

FoW King Tiger in 15mm. I like the miniatures, but I don't care for the game.

A Russian BA-6 in the service of the Spanish Republic for Spanish Civil War.
It's a Zvezda model which almost snapped together although some of the parts almost snapped in half at times.
Oh, but the price! Less than $5!
For my Shako War of 1812 project, the 17th US regular Infantry. This is the outfit I reenact in better weather.
They were on the far end of the supply chain and so got uniforms of various colours.
At Frenchtown, they were in tan or brown.

Canadian artillery for the Fenian Raid project. I wanted to find a way to include Canadian/British troops in the American Civil War games, so I decided to paint up troops for the Fenian Raids of 1866. Irish nationalist from the US attempted to invade Canada and hold it hostage until Great Britain gave Ireland its independence. It was a fiasco.


Front and back view of a Fenian standard bearer, with the banner in English and Irish Gaelic.
15mm ACW Confederate Zouaves - the Louisiana Tigers/Louisiana Special Battalion.
The Confederacy didn't go in much for Zouaves, but these fellows -recruited from among the
Irish toughs in New Orleans- were an exception. The uniforms probably didn't hold up too long. 

Gallic warrior - Wargames Factory plastic multi-pose figure

Irish pike command stand in 15mm for DBR - pikes and chieftain by Essex, bagpiper by Minfigs.
I enjoy playing the army of the Great O'Neill, Earl of Tyrone, although I usually get beat up with them.
Gripping Beast 25mm Arthurians for my wife's army in our Warhammer Ancients battles.

15mm Late Roman Auxila for DBA (Freikorp 15s, I think)

15mm Late Roman Legionaries for DBA (guessing Freikorp 14s)

More Late Roman Legio - as above.
I'm going to split this blog in half at this point. More to come in the area of Fantasy, Sci-fi, and Imagi-nations.

2 comments:

  1. A colourfully eclectic array of martial splendour there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many Thanks! I think I have "painting attention deficit" since I seem to hop around from project to project in my painting.

      Delete