Wednesday 22 August 2012

The Survey... like it or not.

      A number of the blogs I follow have been answering a list of questions of a rather slanted personal nature. So I'll follow suit.

1.        Favourite Wargaming period and why?
 Napoleonics,  hands down. Whether it is on the Continent or in North America (War of 1812), for colour, flash, and drama, it can't be beat. Almost any and every country could be included.

2.       Next period, money no object?
 Don't know - probably Sci-fi of some type

3.       Favourite 5 films?
 - The Lord of the Rings (When I read the books, my imagination takes me to the movies.)
 - Waterloo (I know it's a mess, but the masses of troops are great to see)
 - Michael Collins (I like it and Laim Neeson kicks butt in all his movies... cf. "Rob Roy"
 - Gettysburg (See my comment above about Waterloo, plus I have a buddy among the extras.)
 - The Fifth Element (What a roller-coaster ride! And what a vision of the future!!)
             Honourable mention: Glory, The Wild Geese, The Couch Trip, Forbidden Planet, Dune

4.       Favourite 5 TV series?
 For quite a while, I didn't watch much TV, so I've missed a lot:
 - Mythbusters (I love how they gleefully and innocently destroy so much. Jamie and Adam and the crew seem truely surprised that the science works. This is the REAL reality TV!)
 - Firefly (Traveller, my favourite RPG, is on the air!)
 - Castle (Good writing and interesting characters, even if it's not a real mystery.)
 - Babylon 5 (The aliens are really alien.)
 - Space Ghost, Coast to Coast (too weird for words and gleefully so. "So, this evening's guest, what are YOUR superpowers?")

5.       Favourite book and author?
 The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit by J.R.R.Tolkien  I reread it every so often and I want to buy land in Middle Earth.

6.       Greatest General? Can’t count yourself!!
 Myself? HA! I'd have to say U.S.Grant. Yes, he had numbers and industry, but no one else with those advantages was able to beat Marse Robert. Grant couldn't be defeated simply because he wouldn't be defeated.

7.       Favourite Wargames rules?
 Just about any set published by Iron Ivan. I'm waiting impatiently for their sci-fi set. I also like Shako, Mr. Lincoln's War, KoenigKrieg, Wings of War, Don't Give Up The Ship, and Warmaster.

8.       Favourite Sport and team?
 Next question please. I don't follow sports much, but I will watch hockey.

9.       If you had a only use once time machine, when and where would you go?
 1180's; Assisi, Umbria, Italy; to meet my favourite military deserter, Giovani Bernedone, who called himself "Francesco" and whom we in English call "Francis."

10.   Last meal on Death Row?
Chicken Paprikash over shoestring potatoes, broccoli, pumpkin pie

11.    Fantasy relationship and why?
"No person... shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself"
          (Amendment V, the Constitution of the United States)
          So could I have another 40 years with my wife?

12.   If your life were a movie, who would play you?
The point is moot, since it would be an animated cartoon.

13.   Favourite Comic  Superhero?
It's always been Captain America followed by Daredevil. Then Captain Spaulding ("The African explorer?" I hear you say.)

14.   Favourite Military quote?
"No battle plan survives contact with the enemy"  
                     Field Marshal Helmuth Karl Bernhard Graf von Moltke the elder

15.   Historical destination to visit?
The Waterloo battlefield

16.   Biggest Wargaming regret?
I don't think I have one.

17.   Favourite Fantasy job?
Tough question! Historical consultant, I think.

18.   Favourite Song, Top 5?
Now it gets REALLY weird...
You Gonna Need Somebody On Your Bond - Taj Mahal with Gravity (a 4 tuba jazz/blues ensemble backing a real live bluesman, how can I resist?) (The same album has this gem: You Ain't No Streetwalker, Honey, But I Do Love The Way You Strut Your Stuff.)
Hole Hearted - Extreme
Finlandia - Jean Sibelius, composer
March: Washington Greys - Salvatore Graffula, composer
The Bells of Rhymney - Pete Seeger (I like John Denver's version best.)

19.   Favourite Wargaming Moment?
I suppose it was the time I tied up my friend Bill's entire wing of a French Napoleonic army with two units of Swedish light cavalry.

20.   The miserable Git question, what upsets you?
Intolerance
not being heard
stupid people with stupid ideas having a huge podium to expound them from
my own stupidity and intolerance
loud people with nothing to say who say it anyway... loud
seeing the train wreck and not being able to do anything about it
Know-it-alls

Okay, that's enough. Return to your lives, Citizens. I promise photos in my next blog!

2 comments:

  1. Excellent answers! The 5th Elemenmt's a great film, Chris Tucker and Gary Oldman steal the show for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true, Ray! Those two actors make the film. "Ru-bee Rod!" vs. "Ah Ahm a little bit disappointed!"

      Delete