Tuesday 20 August 2024

Fort Erie 2024

 


I had the honour of attending and taking part in the reenactment of the Siege of Fort Erie for 2024. I was in decent shape since I had some treatment on my ancient and honourable knees about a week prior to the event. My wife, Beth and I both enjoyed the event and the weather - which had been REALLY hot - cooperated although the wind was a bit troublesome at time. In the cause of being truthful, we didn't camp this year. Neither of us can enjoy sleeping on the ground AND getting up without the use of slings, pullies, and derrick... at least for me.

A note... the photos are courtesy of many sources, such as Cushing's Battery, my wife, The Earl of Moira crew, and Laughing Devil Photography... of which I'll say more later. Complimentary, by the way!

We set up next to the folks from Fort Meigs, OH, who reenact Cushing's Battery, 2nd US Artillery. They had a 6# cannon, an ammunition caisson, and a mobile field forge, the second two for display, and the cannon for firing!

Cushing's Battery firing

... and REALLY firing!


Usually, I'm detailed to be "brigade adjutant", the chief paper-work officer of the brigade who also sets the parade along with the sergeant-major. This time I was asked by Marty, the colonel commanding to lay that aside in order to train other officers to serve as field adjutant. I was declared "Quartermaster" and I set to greeting the public, answering questions, showing a lovely group of maps I had, and generally doing PR for the American side of the event. I was happy to do it. My arthritic knees were grateful as well. I still was in charge of complying the "morning reports" for the brigade. My wife had a chance to set up her apothecary's table, something she's been developing for years. I had the north side of the fly and she had the south side.

Our Quartermaster's office/Apothecary's display fly

"The Chucks" investigate the apothecary's display.
There's a lot more to say about "the Chucks."
Note the "pill roller" in front of the uniformed Chuck.
There's also a mortar and pestle, bullet-extracting forceps, and a "tooth key."
(Apothecaries did tooth extraction as well.)

Able Seaman Silas of the Earl of Moira and I look over some maps with visitors.

I kept myself out of the battles for the most part although I did some watching on Saturday afternoon, providing some commentary to the folks on the side of the battlefield. 

American skirmishers give fire!

Our friends of the 21st Infantry on the march.

US Regulars and Kentucky Volunteer Infantry on the firing line.

Forces of the Crown... looking as sharp as ever.

The Crown forces in line

The battle on Saturday night is always the highlight of the event. It reenacts the Crown night assault on the US-held fort on August 15, 1814 which led to a massive explosion of the fort's powder magazine, resulting in a huge death toll for the attackers. The reenactment holds a lot of musket and cannon fire, lots of screaming and battlecries, and a BIG BOOM as fireworks controlled by professionals show the massive explosion. The explosives are usually covered in peat moss... which means all of the reenactors are covered in peat moss when things blow up. This year's event was no exception and the big blast was impressive.

The 22nd US Infantry, with my friend, Neil commanding,
man the highest wall in the fort.

A smaller artillery hit on the fort, showing the smear of peat moss that makes a good show,
although you'll find the stuff in you underclothing later!

The magazine begins to go up.

The BIG BOOM!

The big aftermath with lots of fallen Redcoats.

Earlier, the assault troops went up the ladder onto the terre plane.

A different view of the blast, from the safety line south of the field.

As the battle reenactment began, the Crown forces advanced in this formation.

Now... "The Chucks"... The various stuffed woodchucks/groundhogs/marmots (in Europe)/"Grundsau" (if you're from Pennsylvania Dutch country) are mascots of a sort of Cushing's Battery, 2nd US Artillery, based in Fort Meigs, OH. The besieging British called the US garrison "woodchucks" because they were dug in so well. So, a stuffed woodchuck toy was put in a uniform as "Chuck Wood, Artillery Recruit" and a few more followed - a female laundress/cook, an artificier (a skilled worker attached to the army), and a gentleman woodchuck. They are a scream and they are much beloved.

The explanation of all this wonderful nonsense.

Oh, dare I say it? I dare, I dare!
"THE CHUCK WAGON"

When they visited the Crown camp, they wore "Canadian disguises."
How beaver-ly they were!

More fun at the apothecary's display!

"I want your battery to cover this area! See to it, Mr. Wood!"

Chuck and I go over the defense plans. He added a few insightful ideas and wrote them down.
Sadly, I couldn't read his writing.

Last but not least in any way, shape, or form, I must tell you about the best visitor to our part of the camp. Sunday morning, Michael, the Laughing Devil himself came to see Beth and I. He was reenacting, but his impression was quite unique! He reenacted a tourist!

That's the mobile field forge in the background

We asked him the usual questions asked of all reenactors, such as:
  • "Do you dress like that all the time?' 
  • "Aren't you hot in those clothes? How can you stand it?"
  • "Is that a real camera?"
  • "Do you live in a real house and eat proper food of the time you reenact?"
Of course, Michael was happy to explain his impression and demonstrate the actions, language, attitudes, and such of the period he reenacted. I'm not sure if he was the highlight of our weekend, or if the Chucks were!

Finally, after some wrangling and discussion, Beth and I were received as new members of Cushing's Battery, 2nd Artillery. We've been more or less attached to them since I became adjutant and since our unit kind of petered out. Let's say we're happy to have another home added to our membership in Croghan's Company, 17th US Infantry and the crew of the HMS Earl of Moira!

The whole of Cushing's, lined up around the ammunition caisson.
Beth is standing fourth from the right. I'm behind the caisson and the bayonet.

Lastly, a very nice still-life from Laughing Devil Photography
My officer's sword at rest

If ever you can, come out to the reenactment at For Erie, ON on the weekend after Civic Holiday in August. It's well worth the trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment